Monday, July 12, 2010

Trek Triathlon--Fun, Fun, Fun

The Triathlon was this weekend. I have to say that I really didn't feel necessarily prepared for the three events. I have been concentrating so hard on running. I wanted to hang out with my girlfriends and if I had to do a triathlon to do that, I would. So, I did. It was fun and hot and exhausting and exhilerating and ...emotional. Margarita Senioritas were in the Trek Tri House!


My overall time was one minute slower than last year. However my run was 3 minutes faster. So, considering that I trained in running, I am pretty happy with that. I will admit that I did brush my hair during every transition. I also stopped to pose after the swim and during the run. Couldn't do that on the bike, but I did slow down to smile! I totally did not push myself because I am so excited about the half marathon. I used the tri as a practice event...gettin' out the nerves and willies.
So, because I am one of the quirky people, I am forced to share all the stupid things that I do on a regular basis. First of all, I freaked because Sandy didn't feel like my bag was heavy enough. I was convinced that I must of forgotten something and couldn't get my mind off of it for the hour drive. Saturday was beautifully sunny and warm. Perfect day to set up for a triathlon. I forgot to wear sunscreen and I am on face medication that makes me "sensitive to the sun." I didn't realize SENSITIVE meant my skin would feel like it was on FIRE and blister. My arms and toes burned.
We slept at Anna and Bob's home. They are such sweet people to allow women to take over their basement. I couldn't sleep, even after taking a benedryl...and my toes felt like they were on fire. I slept maybe 3 hours...tops.
My toes are now bright red and on my left foot...second toe from the baby, I have a blister. CRUD! We walked to the swim start. I felt great. Started with the front crawl. Hips began to hurt and my foot cramped. Maybe I should have swam more than one time since this time last year. Oops. Moved to my back...and like a beached whale I motored my way across the lake. Before getting out, I adjusted my wetsuit...looked at the photographer and smiled! Made it.
The bike route changed and I loved it. Thought I was going fast. Hmmmm...went slower than last year. Oh well. I sang up every hill, wished all the volunteers a good morning and even slowed for the photographer. Many lovely ladies liked my shiney blue bike. Me too.
Got off the bike and had to prepare for putting my shoes on my red and blistered toes. My feet felt like they were on fire...and it was hot. I didn't care....off I went! 10 minute miles. I am happy, happy, happy with that! Yeah.
At the finish stood my husband and my daughter. Sarah was the official photographer and rocked the tri! I am so lucky to have such a supportive family. They come every year. They smile and wave and push me to go faster.
Wish I could put more pictures on this blog...but I guess I used up all my picture room. Don't get it. I hate technology. Anyway, I am SO ready for the Half Marathon. I will run for wine!
My next blog will be AFTER the Napa to Sonoma...so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment